Tuesday, November 13, 2012

From the Principal's Desk 3.14

Dear Parents,
This week I will discuss the character trait of honor.  Honor, a trait given scant attention in today’s society, seems only of interest to organized crime or very proud individuals.  However, honor is a core function of human life.   As Shakespeare said, “Mine honor is my life; both grow in one; Take honor from me and my life is done.”   Honor forms our identity, governs our actions when we are alone or in a crowd, gives strength to our conscience and sets the path for our life. An honorable person will not steal and will not cheat, even if they can.  An honorable person will work a full day for a full days wage, will treat those around them in a manner fitting, and they will exercise all other virtues.   

We trust an honorable man or woman; we expect loyalty not treachery.  Honor by itself quickly can be led astray thus it must by nature be tied to other character traits which themselves tie into yet others.  

So how does one develop honor?  By behaving honorably.   Blessed John Paul II taught us that actions both reveal and determine who we are.  What I do becomes who I am.  I become patient by being patient, I become loving by loving, and I become honorable by acting honorably.   It is never too soon to start.  Let us encourage our students to act honorably and therefore to become honorable.


Timothy Gallic
Principal, Holy Family High School

No comments:

Post a Comment