Tuesday, February 12, 2013

From the Principal's Desk 3.24


From the Principal's Desk 3.24


Walking Tiger   
 Dear Friends,
  
Tomorrow begins the great season of prayer and self-denial - Lent. As a Catholic school we take the obligation of Lent very seriously so we will not be serving any meat in our lunch room on Friday's as well as encouraging fasting.  Why do Catholics speak of obligation so often?  We are obligated to attend mass, we must fast, abstain from meat, must confess our sins and so on.  Why not just say we get to go to mass, fast, abstain, confess etc.?   When we speak of obligation we recognize a reality; God supremely calls us and we must obey.  It is not so much an invitation as a summons.  For only when I recognize God's authority, can I appreciate His mercy.  I don't go to mass because of great homilies, or fine music, or comfortable seats (although I do not object to any of them) I go because God tells me I must.  When an earthly judge tells me to appear, I may not like the courtroom, but I must go.  I am under the authority of the court.   In much the same way, we start by accepting God's jurisdiction than something wonderful occurs.  We find out the judge, is our Dad, our Heavenly Father, who is prepared to show us mercy then we find out the command is really more like an invitation.

We know that our children who obey simple commands, to clean rooms, speak kindly, do chores, are more likely to behave well when out with friends.  We are also aware of the converse.  If we want our children to be successful adults they must learn to obey right authority.  A final thought, not all of God's commands are difficult, all bring joy.

In the old Robin Hood movie, with Errol Flynn, the final scene has Robin Hood holding Maid Marian's hand as the king commands them to marry.  Robin responds,  "May I obey all the King's commands with as much joy".  May the same be said by us to God.

Happy Lent!
Duc in Altum!

Timothy Gallic
Principal, Holy Family High School
303-410-1411




No comments:

Post a Comment